In this article, we’ll be sharing with you our top picks for the best English news apps and sites in India. We’ll cover everything from news magazines to general news sources to more specialized sources. So whether you’re looking for information on current events or just a place to get your daily dose of English news, we have you covered!
Our Top Picks
- Inshorts – Best Short News App in India
- The Hindu – India’s Most Trusted News Platform
- Dailyhunt – Most Followed News App In India
- Flipboard – Popular News Aggregator
- Google News – Highest Downloaded News App
Best English News Apps & Sites
Here’s a list of the best news apps and sites in English you’ll surely fall in love with. We recommend trying out a few different ones to find the one that’s best for you!
Inshorts is India’s most loved short news app that covers a wide range of topics from both national and international sources in just 60 words. With more than 10 million downloads to date, Inshorts offers an engaging and easy-to-use reading experience with content that is fresh, original, and informative. From current affairs to lifestyle updates, sports news to tech trends – there’s something for everyone on Inshorts!
What do we like about Inshorts?
- Insights: The magazine by Inshorts is something you’ll surely fall in love with. Covers interesting topics from sports, business, tech, current affairs, world developments, and many more with graphics-rich designs.
- Information: Focuses on disseminating the latest news just as it is. Very much informative, and not opinionated, or biased to any developments.
- Notifications: The push notifications by Inshorts are limited (thankfully it doesn’t overdo things like other leading news apps, or sites), and they are to the point. The company surely has zero tolerance for clickbait headlines.
In A Nutshell
- Offers short news in languages: English & Hindi.
- Is super fast, and user-friendly.
- Get personalized news stories, videos, and other content as per your interests, location, and more.
- Comes with features such as night mode, text size, bookmarking, etc.
2. The Hindu
The Hindu, which kick-started its journey in 1878 as a weekly, and became a daily in 1889, is currently the second most circulated English language newspaper in India, after The Times of India. This media house is known for its honest journalism and delivers news that’s of great value. It avoids trivial issues and offers unique content that can appeal to different audiences, including politics, business consulting, lifestyle features, arts & culture coverage (including movie reviews), international reports from contributors around the world, and opinion pieces by well-known authors/columnists, etc.
What do we like about The Hindu?
Unbiased Reporting: Offers high-quality journalism, attention to detail, and commitment to providing engaging content for readers. Additionally, the newspaper is accessible online and in mobile formats which makes it easy for people to read wherever they are.
Podcasts & Videos: Tune into The Hindu’s In Focus and Parley to hear experts’ opinions on current developments and more. Also, find video explainers, covering key news events.
Editorials: The Hindu’s editorials are a must-read for anyone preparing for competitive exams, especially IAS/IPS exams. They provide lucid and well-argued analyses of key issues that are often difficult to comprehend or grapple with on one’s own.
In A Nutshell
- Offers news in language(s): English only.
- Covers news from a wide range of categories, and has the best multimedia content.
- Has a clutter-free and clean interface with fewer disruptions.
- Be a part of interactive live webinars, events, and more.
Dailyhunt is a leading content and news aggregator platform that offers the best content in 14 Indian local languages from over 5000 news providers/publishers. Currently, the application boasts of 10 crore plus downloads on Google Play Store alone and serves over 350 million Monthly Active Users (MAUs). It disseminates news from genres like Entertainment, Sports, Politics, Astrology, Finance, Health, Technology, Fashion, Beauty, and more. One of the best parts of Dailyhunt is that it offers hyperlocal news, covering village to city-level news, apart from offering national, and international affairs.
What do we like about Dailyhunt?
Videos: Offers an interesting video section that covers some of the best, viral, and most interesting videos including explainers with easy sharing options to social media platforms, inducing WhatsApp, Skype, etc. Also offers access to LiveTV from popular media houses like Republic TV, India Ahead, India Today, WION, and more.
Easy Search: Users can search for the latest news content, developments, current affairs, articles, videos, memes, motivational posts, and more using the search bar. You can also find the most trending stories from genres like Entertainment, World, Cricket, Automobile, Employment, Jobs, and more when you click on the Search Bar.
Podcasts: Popular categories such as Comedy, Religion, Spirituality, Health, Film, and Arts are among the many podcasts available on Dailyhunt. Without missing a beat, you can follow content creators/agencies and receive the latest information.
In A Nutshell
- Offers news in languages: English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Bangla, Malayalam, Kannada, Marathi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Odia, Urdu, Bhojpuri & Assamese.
- Breaks news as it happens – local to global.
- Allows users to post anything they like, including images, videos, polls, and more.
- Daily Share is one of the most loved categories on Dailyhunt as it offers daily quotes, motivational, spiritual, current affairs, and many more in an image format that is easy to share with your loved ones.
4. Times of India
The Times of India (TOI), India’s oldest English-language newspaper is the latest selling English-language daily in the world. It is a great source for news and current events in the Indian region. It covers a wide range of topics, from politics to business to entertainment. Additionally, it has an excellent blog section that offers insightful commentary on various issues. The website also provides coverage of all types of news, from international stories to local happenings in different parts of the country It also features plenty of original content as well as live updates on major political developments. In addition, there are frequently updated sections on weather and finance that can be useful resources for people living in the region.
What do we like about the Times of India?
TOI Briefs: This section is designed to cater to a variety of readership interests that would like to consume short-news content from a variety of genres. It will be updated frequently with new content as when news breaks.
Customizable Notifications: This feature gives users the complete freedom to select the time and frequency of news notifications as per their interests. You can access the ‘My Feed’ section and receive customizable feeds as per your language choice.
Live TV: Apart from the text form of news, users can also access Live TV and watch developments as they happen. From breaking news to Bollywood gossip, TOI has it all from its partners ET Now, Zoom Live TV, Times Now, etc.
In A Nutshell
- Offers news in 14 languages like English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Bangla, Gujarati, Nepali, Urdu, Marathi, Assamese, Odia, Assamese, and Kannada.
- Swipe left/right with ease for a faster and smoother reading experience.
- Easy to bookmark articles to read later.
- Supports offline reading feature.
Flipboard is one of the most popular and award-winning apps on Android and iPhone. It provides a quick and easy way to stay up-to-date with the latest news stories, as well as magazine content that you can customize based on your interests. Flipboard works by aggregating articles from different sources into Smart Magazines that you can then read easily on your device. This app is great for staying informed about current events, finding out about new products or services, or simply exploring various topics in depth. Plus, it’s easy to share articles with friends via social media or email.
What do we like about Flipboard?
Unique Content: Flipboard features stories from a variety of sources, including well-known newspapers and magazines, so you’re sure to find something interesting to read every time you open it. It also features personalized recommendations based on your interests so you can stay up to date with the latest topics without having to sift through tons of irrelevant articles.
Layout: The layout is friendly and easy to use, so even beginners can quickly get up to speed with the latest news headlines.
Customizable: We like the fact that it is an easily customizable app that lets you personalize your news experience. We also like the rich content that it provides.
In A Nutshell
- Offers 25 local editions including versions for India, China, Australia, Turkey, UK, and more.
- Allows setting magazines to private or public, and the ability to invite the Flipboard community to contribute to your curation.
- Easy to create group magazines.
- Flipboard TV is completely free and provides a variety of new video channels.
6. Business Insider
Business Insider is one of the fastest-growing business news websites in India, and globally. They are constantly on the hunt for new stories that will interest their audience, which includes business owners, marketing professionals, entrepreneurs, and anyone else interested in getting ahead in their field. They have a wide range of content that covers all sorts of topics from finance to technology to the stock market to advertising news and more. And they always make sure to provide valuable information that is both interesting and useful.
What do we like about Business Insider?
Writing Style: Insiders’ writing style is often accessible, informative, and engaging, which makes their content a great resource for anyone looking to stay up-to-date on the latest business news.
Ad-free Experience: With quicker load times and minimal distraction, it provides an ad-free experience. This permits you to read fascinating pieces without being distracted.
FAQs: We like the FAQs section of the Business Insider because it provides answers to all questions relating to tech, business, and more. This makes it a great resource for anyone looking for information on these topics.
In A Nutshell
- Offers news in language(s): English.
- Users can save articles of their choice for later reading.
- You can share articles, videos, and more to your email, or social media platforms like Pocket, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Insider Premium offers exclusive content, and events to its subscribers at affordable monthly, quarterly, and annual subscriptions.
7. Google News
Google News, with over 1 billion downloads on the Play Store is a leading news aggregator service developed by Google that helps you explore and read the latest articles from different sources. It offers a variety of features such as ‘Your Briefing’ that share relevant and important news updates throughout the day. Be it breaking news, or any top local, national, or international development, Google News knows you better, and personalized stories as per your interests, location, and more. The platform, available on Android and iOS apps, allows you to subscribe to your favorite publications so that you always have the latest articles available when you open them. You can also share articles with friends or post them on social media.
What do we like about Google News?
- Device Access: Google News is fast and reliable and works seamlessly with any phone/device, and it’s level of connection. Have a poor connection, or want to save your data? Google News knows it better and slims down the size of images and helps save your data. You can also download articles for later reading over Wi-Fi.
- Email Alerts: You can request alerts as per keyword topics when you subscribe to Google News Alerts to receive the latest and matching news articles as per your choice.
- Minute-To-Minute: It updates stories minute-to-minute, so you can be sure that you’re getting the latest news as it happens. You can read articles on current events, business, lifestyle, entertainment, and more.
In A Nutshell
- Offers news in 35 languages globally, including English, and 6 Indian such as Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, and Kannada.
- It is one of the most reliable news sources online and is quick to load and easy to navigate.
- Get the best of stories selected by newsroom editors in the Newsstand feature.
- You can read articles offline and access them later when you have more time.
8. NDTV News
NDTV is a fantastic news platform that offers users access to breaking news stories, live streams, live TV, live radio, videos, photos, and more on a single easy-to-use platform. In addition, it features in-depth coverage of current events, along with the latest headlines and stories from across the globe. The website also offers up-to-date weather forecasts for select cities around the world, as well as video content on trending topics. NDTV has been widely praised for its excellent journalism and comprehensive coverage of global events. It is one of the most popular mobile apps among Indian millennials, who rely on it for accurate news updates.
What do we like about NDTV?
- Beeps: It offers short news in 3 points and you can check out News Beeps to get more detailed information on each topic such as News, Offbeat, Khabar, Entertainment, Swirlster, Auto, and Food. The app also offers daily digest, latest videos, top stories, and much more which makes it an easy-to-use platform for busy people who want to stay up-to-date with the latest breaking news.
- Live TV: Watch Live TV and top shows from leading journalists and anchors like Dr. Prannoy Roy, Sonia Singh, Sreenivasan Jain, Nidhi Razdan, Sarah Jacob, etc. And get access to Prime Time Show (Hindi) by Ravish Kumar, and other shows by Akhilesh, and Nidhi Kulpati.
- Alerts/Notifications: Select the categories of your choice and receive personalized alerts for the same. You may choose to silence or mute alerts at night and during unusual hours.
In A Nutshell
- Offers news in languages: English and Hindi.
- The site offers original video content that is well-produced and interesting to watch.
- The app has been designed with mobile users in mind by offering easy access to all the latest stories.
- Supports Chromecast to cast videos and Live TV to supported devices, and televisions.
Moneycontrol is the #1 business and finance app in Asia. It offers insightful insights and analysis on the latest economic news as well as tools to help you stay ahead of the curve. The app also has a wealth of resources designed to help you improve your financial planning skills. You can find content on topics such as investing, budgeting, debt management, retirement planning, and estate planning. Moneycontrol also provides educational videos that are chock-full of valuable information for both beginners and experts alike! The app has also been instrumental in introducing new investors to the markets across these regions. In addition to this core function of guiding novice investors through the complex terrain of finance, Moneycontrol also offers content dedicated exclusively to helping small businesses grow their businesses.
What do we like about Moneycontrol?
- Wide Coverage: Covers assets from NSE, BSE, MCX, and NCDEX exchanges that help users to track Indices, Futures, Stocks, Mutual Funds, etc using the mobile application.
- Top-notch Market Data: Offers the latest market data such as the fresh quotes of stocks, commodities, mutual funds, and currencies from BSE, MCX, etc. Additionally, users can check out the prices of NIFTY, Sensex, and India VIX. Get access to historical charts such as OHLC, Candlestick, and more.
- Watchlist: Offers a personalized watchlist that allows users to track stocks, and currencies. Also, get alerts on the stocks you track.
In A Nutshell
- Offers news in language(s): English.
- Offers a Pro plan with benefits such as ad-free experience, analysis, smart investment ideas, a smart calendar, market lessons from successful investors, and a macro meter.
- Listen to content on the go with the ‘Text to Speech’ feature for news and articles.
- Using the Forum Message Board feature, participate and engage in discussions regarding your portfolio or assets of interest.
10. ANI News
Asian News International (ANI) is India’s largest multimedia news agency that offers breaking news on wide range of categories, including current affairs in India, and across the globe. Currently, ANI has over 1000 plus news organizations all over the world, and over 100 news bureaus in India alone. ANI covers a wide range of topics, including business, crime, politics, entertainment, science and technology. In addition to its website and social media platforms (Twitter/Facebook), ANI also produces video content that can be accessed on its YouTube channel. This apart, ANI offers customized audio bytes for radio stations, news feeds and programmes for television channels, multimedia and text content for websites, news wire services for magazines, newspapers, etc.
What do we like about ANI?
Compelling Content: ANI has a great team of journalists who are skilled in writing compelling and engaging content. They also maintain strong ethical standards which is evident in the high quality of their reporting.
Ease of use: The website as well as mobile application is easy to navigate with well-organized sections that make it easy to find what you’re looking for.
News Breaks First Here: ANI often breaks news first. This allows their users to stay up-to-date on all of the latest happenings, no matter where they are in the world.
In A Nutshell
- Offers news in languages: English, and Hindi.
- Is easy to use and offers a well-designed interface.
- The app offers live updates on various news stories across various formats like text, images, and videos.
- Offers unbiased and authentic news.
There are countless news apps and sites available on the internet, making it difficult to decide which one to trust. Unfortunately, not all of them are reliable and accurate. To make your life a little easier, we have compiled a list of some of the best news apps and sites in India that are guaranteed to provide you with the most up-to-date information. We hope that this article was helpful and that you will continue to check back on our website for more posts like this one! Let us know in the comments if you have any other recommendations to add to the list!
Which are the best news apps in India?
The top news apps would likely include Inshorts, The Hindu, and TOI in India. These three platforms offer unique perspectives on current events that can be of great value to users.
Do short news apps harm your reading comprehension?
No, short news apps generally won’t have long paragraphs or complex sentences. Most of the articles are composed in a straightforward and concise style that is easy to follow.
Best newspaper for IAS/IPS aspirants?
The Hindu is well known for its comprehensive coverage of national and international events, as well as its editorial positions on various issues. It is recommended for civil service aspirants, and those preparing for other competitive exams.