WhatsApp is the most preferred texting app around the globe. This success can be attributed to WhatsApp’s constant efforts of adding new features and timely updation of its services
But don’t you think WhatsApp has drastically changed our lives, so much so that if WhatsApp goes down people react dramatically.
Hence, we bring you this article which will talk about WhatsApp’s new features and the positive & negative impact of this on our lives.
Note – All the information is sourced through WhatsApp’s website, social media posts and through in-depth analysis of the app by experts.
Features on WhatsApp
Today, WhatsApp is actively used by everyone for multiple reasons. According to GrabOn’s Indian Internet Market Statistics, in India alone, WhatsApp is used to send over 12 billion messages. All this was made possible because of its various features, so let’s take a look at all the new features that WhatsApp has added:
- Voice Call & Video Call via desktop app
- Disappearing Messages
- View Once Feature
- End to End Chat Backups
- Mute audio before sharing a video clip
- Dedicated Video Mode
- Status Profile Ring
- Avatar, let’s take an in-depth look at them.
Here is an in-depth look at the latest features rolled out by WhatsApp in 2023.
1. Voice Call & Video Call via Desktop App
WhatsApp recently updated this new feature for their platform. Now you can make video and voice calls through your PCs. All you need to do is to pair the device with your smartphone by scanning the QR code. Just like in our smartphones, these calls will also be protected by end-to-end encryption.
2. Disappearing Messages
Now WhatsApp lets you enable the disappearing feature, where once the receiver reads the messages, it automatically disappears. You may also choose the duration after which the messages will disappear. WhatsApp gives three options to its users — 24 hours, 7days and 90days.
3. View Once Feature
Another feature that improves users’ privacy and security is the ‘View Once’ feature. With this, the images sent can be viewed only once by the receiver. For additional security of the sender, WhatsApp has also recently disabled the screenshot option for images sent via this feature.
4. End to End Chat Backups
WhatsApp has recently updated its backup feature. With this, you can save your chat backup in the cloud with the same end-to-end encryption which protects your chat.
5. Mute audio before sharing a video clip
If you are the kind of person who sends clips to your family and friends with sucked-up audio, then this feature is a saviour for you. It will let you mute the audio before sending it.
6. Dedicated Video Mode
WhatsApp has just made it easier and more efficient than ever to capture life’s moments – they’ve rolled out a refreshed camera interface, with an awesome dedicated video mode! Now users don’t need to press-and-hold the shutter button; simply select the new ‘video’ option instead.
7. Status Profile Rings
With this new feature of WhatsApp, android users can now stay up-to-date with their friends’ statuses without leaving the chat screen. Just tap their profile pic and see if they have any exciting updates.
After Facebook and Instagram, WhatsApp has also joined the ‘make your own avatar’ club. You can now simply go to settings and build your own avatar from scratch.
WhatsApp Tips & Tricks
Many may be aware about the features discussed above, but not all are aware of the trivial hacks that can help one use WhatsApp to its full efficiency.
So, for all WhatsApp junkies out there we have compiled a list of tips and tricks that will elevate your user experience and make texting more fun.
1. Search specific/all Chat
Finding it difficult to scroll up to your friend’s text that they sent a week ago? Well now you can find any specific message with the chat search feature.
Specific Chat – Just go to the lens option on the top and start typing what you remember. WhatsApp will show you every text where either of you used those specific words.
All Chat – Open specific chat>go to option>tap on search>start typing what you remember.
2. Find Out Who You Talk To The Most
Did you know you can find out who you talk to the most on WhatsApp. Your bestie might not like it, if it’s not them.
Setting>Storage & Data>Manage Storage>Here the list of contacts is listed according to the people you talk to the most.
3. Delete Media From A Certain Chat
Knowing this trick will help you delete all media from a specific chat without combing through your library. Save yourself from this mammoth task by following the below simple steps.
Go to Settings>Storage & Data>Select Contact>Manage>Tick all the boxes which you want to delete>Tap on the bin.
4. WhatsApp Text Tricks
There are some very nifty tricks that you could use to beautify your texts on WhatsApp. Use these text tricks to add a little umph to your messages.
You can Bold your text easy by putting “*” before and after any word.
Example – Hey, *Amit*>> Hey, Amit.
Turn your text Italic
Similar to Bold You can also write text in Italics by adding “_” before and after any word.
Example – Hey, Amit. _How are you doing?_ >>Hey, Amit. How are you doing?
Strike through any text
You can strikethrough through words by adding “~” before and after the word or sentence.
Example – Hey, Amit. How are you doing? Let’s catchup on Monday Sunday.
Monospace is a text formatting method by which you can put more focus on specific words. You can do this by adding ““`” before and after words and sentences.
Example – Hey, Amit. When are you “`coming back“` from Delhi?>> Hey, Amit. When are you coming back from Delhi?
5. Turn Off Automatic Media Download
WhatsApp users can now disable the automatic downloading of their media files. Users are given three options of ‘when using mobile data’, ‘when connected on WiFi’, ‘when roaming’, in which they can specify the media download option. Click on settings > storage and data and change your settings accordingly.
6. Customise Your Chat Wallpaper
Now you can set different backgrounds for each chat. Put favourite pictures of your family or friends on your chat screens. Simply go to settings > chat > wallpaper. Here, you can select the image you like and you’ll be good to go.
What is WhatsApp Business?
WhatsApp Business helps you create a profile for your business on its platform, through which you can communicate with your customers. It presents various advantages and features that improve customer service experience.
Features of WhatsApp Business
- Build a Business Profile
- Quick & Easy Replies
- Automatic Replies
- Custom Away Message
- Build a product/service catalogue
- Interactive Messages
- WhatsApp Payments
- Screen Lock for Desktop
Continue reading to check-out the list of features that you can try on WhatsApp Business.
1. Build a Business Profile
Building a business profile has several benefits. People can easily find your business and can contact you through WhatsApp directly. Additionally, when WhatsApp verifies your profile, it increases your business authenticity.
A verified WhatsApp profile can also support in increases your business authenticity.
2. Quick & Easy Replies
To simplify communications with vendors, WhatsApp business saves your most sent replies for quick replies.
3. Automatic Replies
Do you know what makes great businesses stand out from the average ones? Their customer support system.
The automatic reply feature of WhatsApp business improves your client’s ease of doing business experience with you. And all these are cost nothing.
Custom Away Message
Away messages are nothing but automatic replies your customers get when they try to contact you after working hours. WhatsApp lets you customise it and schedule it to be sent after a specific time.
Build a product/service catalogue
WhatsApp recently rolled out a collection feature on their business platform. Using this feature lets you can list all your products on its platformtheir profile, so that the customers can look through your products without visiting your website. With each product, you can add description and price.
With WhatsApp you can send an interactive text to simplify communication. Here the customer can input numbers to receive replies regarding their queries.
4. WhatsApp Payments
Now you can receive payment for your product directly through WhatsApp. They kick-started this feature in collaboration with National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI), so you don’t have to worry about security. These payments are made through Unified Payment System (UPI).
5. Screen lock for Desktop
Advantage and Disadvantage of Whatsapp
6 Positive Effects Of Whatsapp
1. Sharing Information
- WhatsApp is the best platform to share and access information. Be it a New York Times article or a doggo meme (millennial language coming through!)WhatsApp is the best platform to share any kind of news or information.
- According to a study by the Reuters Institute, WhatsApp is becoming a major source for news in several countries. In Malaysia, 51% of them said that they used WhatsApp to get news.
- Large files, such as images and documents can be sent across seamlessly.
2. Helps Connecting Across Continents
- Thanks to internet messaging, and also to the introduction of voice & video calls. With WhatsApp, you can helps in connect with people, friends and families across countries and continents.
- WhatsApp also lets you send audio recordings, images and more to your friends and families sitting at vast distances from you.
- In recent times, WhatsApp has transformed itself into a pseudo-e-learning platform. Teachers not only share notes or information but can also make learning videos or share videos from YouTube on WhatsApp groups. functionality!
- WhatsApp’s video call feature lets teachers & students create online classrooms.
4. Safety And Security
- Thanks to WhatsApp’s secure end-to-end encryption feature, personal information is much more secure now.
- You can block unknown & malicious people from sending you messages.
5. No Advertisements
- WhatsApp’s no advertisement policy, does not let you get spammed with ads, unlike other social media platforms.
6. Business opportunity
- It’s no news that social media is a medium for running businesses in today’s online world. Thanks to the massive usage of WhatsApp, promoting products has become easier. This has also increased opportunities for those who are seeking to make a living through their creativity.
7. Free to use
- Ever since WhatsApp was introduced, it has always been a free to use app. All you need is an internet connection to send messages to anyone, anywhere.
6 Negative Effects of Whatsapp
1. A Tool To Circulate False Information
- Ill intentioned adults may use all these features to groom a child sexually, and the parents may never find out about it.
- no surprise that people use the app to circulate fake news among the populace to facilitate their political ideologies.
- WhatsApp has also been used for spreading hate speech against individuals, governments & institutions.
- It doesn’t have any facility to sieve out any incorrect information. For instance, during Covid – 19 pandemic people received a number of false treatment ideas on WhatsApp which either did nothing or worsened their condition.
2. Creates Mental Health Issues
- WhatsApp has contributed to the issue of social isolation among the youth. They prefer being glued to their phone screens rather than in-person conversations.
- It affects an individual’s self esteem & creates a sense of self doubt.
3. Health-Related Problems
- Multiple studies have confirmed that WhatsApp contributes to health-related problems among teenagers. From sleep deprivation (due to continuous chatting) to straining of eyes, WhatsApp contributes to a lot of problems.
4. Sexual Grooming
- Perhaps one of the scariest aspects of Whatsapp is that chat between two people can remain untracked and unsupervised because of the various security features available in the app.
- From disappearing messages to “delete for everyone” option anyone can erase any and all messages exchanged between two people.
- Ill intentioned adults may use all these features to groom a child sexulaly. And the parent may never find out about it.
5. Lack Of Content Censorship
- Considering that WhatsApp has no censorship over the kind of content shared, a lot of inappropriate information and media can be shared.
- It can also be used to blackmail teenagers using their personal information, and no one will ever find out unless the teenagers complain about it themselves..
6. Monetary Fraud
- Users can make use of the platform to exploit inexperienced boys and girls for money.
- Because of the simplicity of sending and receiving payments, teens too can find themselves in a pool of fraud activities when they turn towards asking money from people in return for fake promises.
Inspite of being a widely-used communication app, WhatsApp has its fair share of advantages and drawbacks. Ultimately the users have control over how they utilise the app’s features.
WhatsApp offers several benefits such as communicating and sharing information efficiently, bridging geographical and cultural barriers.
However, its potential harm can rise when the app is used irresponsibly.
For younger users, it’s essential to engage in an open dialogue with adults on its potential harms and benefits. It is a must for the younger users to learn responsible online behavior.
With the above shared information we like to believe that In while it’s essential to give attention to the potential drawbacks of WhatsApp, its benefits make it an indispensable tool for communication in today’s interconnected world.
Let us know about your opinion of the app in the comments section below!
1. How many people can talk on WhatsApps group calls?
WhatsApp lets upto 36 people get into a group call at once. It utilises your internet connection for calls rather than a mobile network plan.
2. How to create a WhatsApp group?
To create a group, tap on new chat>new group>select the people you want to add>add group subject>you are all set.
3. Does WhatsApp have a message limit?
WhatsApp Business has a limit to how many customers you can send messages to based on the tier your company is registered in. Here are the tiers and the limits:
- Tier 1 – 1k customers per day
- Tier 2 – 10k customers per day
- Tier 3 – 100k customers per day
4. Are WhatsApp Payments secure?
WhatsApp payments use the Government recommended payment system UPI. So, you can be sure that your money is in safe hands.
5. How to save others’ WhatsApp status?
First view the status you want to save then head over to your file manager app, you will have to enable “Show hidden files” in your file manager app. After that go to Internal Storage>>WhatsApp>>Media>>Statuses.
Ha very good app