With 400+ stores globally, IKEA India has finally entered the Indian market with its maiden store in Hyderabad which occupies a massive 13-acre space. IKEA furniture and products starting at Rs 200 and less!
IKEA India, Hyderabad, at a glance*
- The IKEA India operates 365 days of the year from Monday to Sunday between 10AM to 11PM.
- IKEA invested close to 1000 crores in the venture including land, construction, and capital goods.
- The establishment occupies 13 acres of space with a floor size of 400,000 sq. ft.
- IKEA Hyderabad currently employs 950 people directly and 1500 personnel indirectly.
- Out of the 7500 products available at IKEA store in Hyderabad, 1000 are made in India.
- About 20% of the products in IKEA are sourced locally.
- The store provides over 500 products which promote sustainable living.
- All textile goods are made with 100% cotton and all the lights are 100% LED.
- Close to 1000 products are available for a price under Rs 200.
*Information collected from IKEA India Press Release.
IKEA India store Grand Opening: Thursday, August 09, 2018 at 10:00 AM
On this occasion, Jesper Brodin, CEO, IKEA Group said,
‘Today is a proud moment as it marks a major milestone in a journey that started more than 30 years ago when IKEA partnered up with local manufacturers in India. We have a long-term commitment to India, which is an important market for us. We bring an inspiring, affordable and convenient home furnishing offer and we are more than ready to meet and understand the needs, frustrations and dreams in the everyday lives of our customers in India’
Facilities provided in IKEA store in India:
- IKEA provides all home furnishing needs under one roof.
- The store will feature two full-homes which will help you decide about home decorations in Hyderabad
- The store also features a bedroom, kitchen, kids bedroom, living room sets.
- There is a market hall which has all the latest kitchen utensils and accessories along with rugs, decoration stationery and, and live plants.
- The store also houses a 1000-seater restaurant, IKEA’s largest and perhaps one of India’s largest restaurants.
- There is a cafe which serves coffee, baked goods, frozen yogurt and more.
- Kids play area called Småland is available where the kids can play while their parent’s shop.
- The huge 1000-seater IKEA restaurant will offer 50% of its signature Swedish specials like salmon and meatballs (chicken and vegetarian meatballs) and rest of it will be local delicacies like samosas and biryani for Hyderabad.
- Food at IKEA is very affordable! A plate of samosas for only Rs 10, while biryani costs Rs 99/plate.
Check out all the Ikea India online offers and promo codes!
Is IKEA opening stores in other Indian cities?
IKEA has plans of opening retail stores in 40+ Indian cities. IKEA Hyderabad will be followed by IKEA India Mumbai store in 2019 and then IKEA India Bangalore and finally Gurugram. IKEA hopes to expand operations in 25 Indian cities like Ahmedabad, Surat, Pune, Chennai and Kolkata by the year 2025.
What about the IKEA India careers?
IKEA India jobs will offer employment to nearly 2000-3000 people in each store. In the IKEA India, Hyderabad store there are 950 people direct employees with over 1500 people employed indirectly. By the year 2025, IKEA is planning to employ close to 15,000 people in its Indian stores. IKEA is very particular when it comes to gender ratio in the workspace. Globally 44% of IKEA employees are female with 46% in the top management. In IKEA India stores, the number is 37% with a tremendous scope of improvement.
IKEA giving back to the society:
IKEA is known to be great neighbors. They interact with the local community and offer jobs like delivery and assembly services along and work on projects like water recycling, waste management, harnessing solar energy using panels and more. They work actively with UNICEF, UNDP and Teach For All (TFA) on projects like ‘Closing the food loop’ which minimizes food wastage by turning waste products into compost and using it for organic farming.
IKEA in India is closely associated with the DISHA project which aims at teaching skills and providing entrepreneurship opportunities to over 1 million Indian women. In fact in 8 female forklift drivers and over 100 girls have been employed by IKEA India, Hyderabad, in their processes.
What do you think about the latest IKEA opening in India, leave your comments below 🙂