Online Shopping is on the rise today. With more and more e-commerce giants taking over the world, it wonât be long before what we buy/sell gets to decide how we live. Think about the day when Jeff Bezos becomes the President (it is very probable). Very soon, going to the mall will become going to a website like Amazon where you can get everything. Check out some interesting facts about Online Shopping in 2020.
And if youâre looking to save big during online shopping, use these Amazon discount coupons by GrabOn to make your online shopping pleasant.
Top Online Shopping Facts 2023
With Internet shopping becoming an integral part of our life, let’s focus on some of the interesting facts associated with online shopping. Do have a read!
- Although Amazon and eBay are considered to be the initial online retail stores, the first-ever online shopping site which was launched on the World Wide Web was Pizza Hut in 1994
- The year 1995 can be considered a watershed for online shopping. Amazon and eBay are the two most successful shopping websites, which were launched in that year and went on to change people’s perceptions about the viability of retail e-commerce
- The âbestsellerâ product in shopping sites worldwide is Books
- Best-selling book on Amazon for 2012 was the autobiography of Steve Jobs- “Steve Jobs”
- A broken laser pointer was the first item to be sold in an auction on eBay.com. it was sold for $14.83
- PayPal, which was launched in 2000, was the first website to overshadow existing eBay and Amazon payment portals. Interestingly, eBay purchased PayPal in 2002 at a price of $1.5 billion
- E-commerce sales in the U.S. are expected to cross $740 billion by 2023, according to Statista estimates
- Even though there was a global economic slowdown in 2008, the top 500 online retailers’ business increased by 11.7% as compared to 2007
- Amazon.com is the major online seller to consumers in the United States, Canada, and Europe. However, Rakuten Ichiba, from Japan dramatically outsells Amazon in Japan
- Expedia is the first major site for full-service travel arrangements on the web
- The iTunes Store is the world’s most successful online music sales website. It accounts for 70 percent of all online digital music sales, and in fact, was the first site to demonstrate the feasibility of the online music enterprise
Do check our article on top online shopping websites in India.
Top Online Shopping Statistics 2023
- Amazon’s website has 94 million visitors per one month
- 77% men and 68% women shop during lunch hour
- More than 75% people around the world shop online at least once a month
- Statistics from PayPal show that 20% of customers who abandon or fail to complete an online purchase do so because they’re doubtful about the security of their credit cards
- Online Shopping data from Statista indicates that shipping costs being too high is the primary reason for cart abandonment, with about 63% online shoppers in U.S. feeling this way
- U.S. e-commerce sales grew from 72 billion U.S. dollars in 2002 to 228 billion U.S. dollars in 2010
- Online shopping is more popular among younger and middle-aged users. Shoppers aged between 35 and 44 make up 29% of all online spending
- 43% of shoppers around the world research a product on social media before buying it
- 72% of women look online for apparels and lingerie, which have now become the most popular cross-shopping categories
- As pera survey done by Nielsen Holdings Company, reviews of products on shopping sites have a huge influence on consumers. 40% of online shoppers say that they would not even buy without consulting online reviews first
- In U.S. the average woman having an income of $65000 spends $400 per year on shopping online
- In India, men form the majority among online customers
So, here are a few stats about Online Shopping. Let us know in the comments which facts were the most shocking to you. Have a great time shopping!