Sweltering summers are here around the corner and it’s time to take extra care of ourselves. Being exposed to scorching heat can put you at risk for dehydration and vitamin deficiencies. But to avoid it is quite simple.
Change of diet. Yes, as we change our wardrobe, we should also be aiming to change our diet. So here we are, bringing you the best summer foods and cool summer drinks to have to beat this heat.
5 Best Summer Drinks
Beverages are a great way to keep yourself hydrated. Hence here are some lip-smacking cool best summer drinks to have this summer.
Craving for a chilled beverage in hot summer is what we most commonly do in summers. Enter Sugarcane juice. Sugarcane juice is the best way to energize yourself and avert getting dehydrated. In fact, you easily find so many road kiosks selling chilled glasses of irresistible sugarcane juice to satiate your thirst.
Well, sugarcane is not just a delicious drink, it does have several health benefits as well.
Benefits of Sugarcane juice
- It gives you an instant shot of energy.
- Sugarcane juice is one of the best remedies for liver ailments.
- It eases the digestive system
- Helps in maintaining kidney health
Lassi is the best homemade summer drink to inculcate in your diet. This smooth and creamy curd-based beverage is considered to be an excellent summer cooler. You can have it anytime and anywhere as it’s a popular drink sold in our country. Also, it is available in several drooling flavors namely classic(the usual), banana, mango, mint, etc.
Benefits of Lassi
- Prevents stomach ailments like bloating.
- Lassi is also considered to be healthy for our bone health
- It also boosts the immune system
- Aids indigestion
One of the best fruits to eat in summer is watermelon and it gets even better when it’s in juice form. Watermelon juice is super refreshing as it has hydrating properties to keep you hydrated and fresh. Watermelon is delicious and has several health benefits as well.
Benefits of Watermelon juice
- The foremost benefit is it helps you stay hydrated
- It contains a powerful antioxidant essential for a healthy heart
- Calcium present in the drink helps keep our bones strong
- Helps in managing borderline diabetes as well.
Diet coke is now forgotten. If you’re looking for drinks other than water or juices to keep yourself away from dehydration, green tea should be the perfect way to supplement water/juices. It has many nutritional benefits, and the best thing is you can drink it hot or cold. It helps you restore fluids that you lose even on those hot summer days.
Benefits of green tea
- It is loaded with antioxidants that boost immunity
- It keeps your heart healthy by balancing good and bad cholesterol
- It is associated with reduced risk of some cancers
- It facilitates healthy hair and clear skin
Lemonade aka Nimbu Pani
This list would be incomplete without lemonade. Lemonade is the most-sought after drink as it is a quick drink to make and is easily available at home. Moreover, it is the best summer drink to quench your thirst. Lemonade is not only delicious but is also great for our bodies.
Benefits of Nimbu Pani
- Helps you treat kidney stone
- Keeps you hydrated
- Improves metabolism
- Keeps your skin shiny and healthy.
5 Must-have Summer Fruits
Fruits should be an essential part of your balanced diet irrespective of the season. However, there are certain fruits that you must have in summer.
In summer, you lose potassium through sweat, which might put you at risk of developing muscle cramps. Eating oranges, sweet citrus fruits will keep muscle cramps away. Orange juice is such a great summer drink that indeed keeps you hydrated during the sweatiest summer days.
Benefits of oranges
- They have flavonoids which significantly reduces blood pressure
- They prevent skin damage and signs of ageing
- They help maintain a good eye health
- They lower the risk of lung cancer, skin cancer, and breast cancer
Blueberries and Strawberries
Berries are one such thing that requires little explanation. With this, I did not mean to make you stick to only berries, but yeah, the addition of these fruits to your diet will make it a great summer food. These anti-oxidant fruits are great to have as an afternoon snack or as breakfast or go well with salads.
Benefits of berries
- They are high in antioxidants which protect your cells from free radical damage
- They can improve blood sugar and insulin response
- They are high in fiber which controls your appetite
- They help fight inflammation, and reduce heart risks
Bananas are one of the most inexpensive, convenient, healthy, and delicious fruits you can ever have. They are rich in essential vitamins and fiber required in our bodies. Bananas are also a great source of energy because of their high carbohydrate content. So if you ever feel dull, have a banana and experience the burst of energy within you. It’s like the best summer snack you can ever have.
- Supports digestive health Helps improve blood-sugar levels
- Resupplies lost potassium and magnesium due to sweating. That’s the reason they are added to the summer diet.
- Improves kidney health
- Helps you feel fuller
How could we ignore mango in summers? Well, Mango is the king of summer fruits and we should definitely have it. But, in a limited quantity. An overdose of mango can cause problems because it induces heat in our bodies which affect our digestive system and skin. However, being a seasonal fruit, it does have its own benefits and can be enjoyed as a summer dessert.
Benefits of Mango
- Rich in protective antioxidants that helps in preventing obesity
- Rich in Vitamin A and C that help heal wounds and promote healthy hair and skin
- Promotes heart health
- Improves eye health and is good for vision.
Papaya is another fruit that you can definitely have in summer. This fruit is one of the best summer fruits because it soothes sunburn and reduces tan. And we all are aware of how terrible summers can be in India. But papayas are advised to have at specific time intervals for enjoying their benefits. For instance, you should have papaya after 4-5 hours of having a meal. Or you can simply eat at night.
Benefits of Papaya
- Helps in digestion and reduces inflammation
- Boosts immune system
- Reduces risk of prostate cancer
- Improves the health of the skin
5 Must-have Summer vegetables
Summers make you uncomfortable and it’s quite not in our hands to control the weather. But we can keep it cool on the inside by having healthy vegetables. So here are 5 must-have vegetables to have in summer.
Yes we know technically tomatoes are fruits but let’s face it we eat them as vegetables. Tomatoes are one of the highly consumed and loved vegetables in India. Without them, every meal is incomplete. Eaten as salads as well, tomatoes help combat the heat. Also, it is made up of water, it keeps you cool on the inside.
Benefits of tomatoes
- Helps you stay hydrated
- Good for heart
- Improves the immune system
- Helps lowering cholesterol levels
Bottle gourd is another popular vegetable used in Indian households. It is well-known for its taste and nutritional content. This vegetable does not only offer a cooling effect but also has several health benefits as well. And that’s the reason Indian moms love bottle gourd and use it as a vegetable component in curries.
Benefits of Bottle guard
- Helps reducing stress
- Good for heart
- Boosts weight loss
- Helps in combating sleeping disorder
Beans, one of the most loved vegetables are a powerhouse of nutrition. They are rich in vegetative protein and are often used in rice and curries. Stemmed or stir-fried, this yummy vegetable helps people lose weight as they have a less-calorie count. Apart from being healthy, they are available all year round.
Benefits of Beans
- Light and rich in fiber
- Reduces risk of cancer
- Stabilizes blood glucose levels
- Good for health
Another vegetable in this list that is easily available and is healthy is carrots. Similar to beans, they are also grown all around the year and hence available. Can be consumed raw, or in a juice form, this delicious vegetable is loaded with nutrients.
Benefits of Carrots
- Lowers your risk of cancer
- Helps managing diabetes
- Boosts metabolism process
- Good for eyes
This dark green food comes with proteins, vitamins, and anti-cancer properties. Here is one of the easy recipes for kale that I find worth sharing — add salt, little oil (preferably olive oil), pepper to chopped kale, and 350 degrees in the oven for 15 minutes. And you have snacks ready that are delicious and healthy. You can also try out the salad with this vegetable while sprucing up with other sources like carrots, watermelon, apricots, corn tortillas, cherry, chicken, tomatoes, and more.
Benefits of kale
- It is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet
- It is extremely high in Vitamin C
- It helps lower cholesterol in the body
- It contains Vitamin K which prevents blood clotting
If you want to buy the best healthy food online, Bigbasket is one of the best where Tata group has a majority stake. You can get verified Bigbasket offers and coupons at our main website.
Tips to stay healthy in summer
It’s easy to fall sick in summer due to extreme heat. But here are some helpful tips to keep yourself fit and healthy.
- Workout and drink lots of water
- Keep a healthy and balanced diet
- Use sunscreen to protect your skin
- Cover your head from direct sunlight